In this episode: Ten (10) Halloween candies you can enjoy, Three (3) muscle myths you need to stop believing and laser focus for motivation.
Yes, you can have Halloween candy and be guilt free! Here is part one of better candy choices for Halloween! I'll give you another 10 choices in the next podcast! Who says the kids get all the goodies?
Please note that these are listed in no particular order.
If you are wondering what makes a candy fall into the category of "relatively guilt free, " here is the criteria used: Candy must be under 100 calories, less than 6 grams of fat, and less than 10 grams of sugar per serving.
- Hershey’s Special Dark: Dark chocolate has antioxidant benefits! Snack on two miniatures for a total of only 88 calories and 5.2 grams of fat.
- Twizzlers: Low fat and chewy! Nibble on two of the snack size versions for less than 50 calories and 0 grams of fat.
- Peanut M & Ms: The snack-sized bag (about 7 pieces) is the perfect size! Just enough whithout being too much or high in calories! Thanks to the peanuts, there is a boost protein, and fiber, too! At 93 calories, 4.7 grams of fat, and 9.1 grams of sugar, it's my favorite choice!
- Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups Miniature: Two mini cups are 88 calories, 5.2 grams of fat, and 9.2 grams of sugar.
- Tootsie Rolls: Great for the munchies! Three minis contain only 70 calories and 1.5 grams of fat.
- Three Musketeers: You best bet is to have two which equal less than 50 calories, but the 8 grams of sugar make too many more questionable (ok, so maybe four is a better amount ;))
- Tootsie Roll Pop: Keep your mouth and hand busy! Just 60 calories and 0 grams of fat (tootsie roll center included!). Watch the sugar, there are 10 grams in a single pop!
- Payday: You don't always see these, but they have great numbers to keep your weight loss plan intact! The fun size Payday contains 90 calories, 5 grams of fat, and 8 grams of sugar. Plus, thanks to the peanuts, it also has 2 grams of fiber and 7 grams of protein!
- Mounds: One snack-sized bar has 80 calories, 4.5 grams of fat, and 8 grams of sugar. A nice treat for your sweet tooth!
- Almond Joy: Similar to Mounds, one snack-sized bar has 80 calories, 4.5 grams of fat, and 8 grams of sugar. The Almonds in this bar add some extra health benefits by having some fiber and unsaturated fat.
Muscle myths! These myths are still out there!
Myth 1: Muscle Soreness After Exercise is from by Lactic Acid Build Up.
This belief that lactic acid causes DOMS (delayed-onset muscle soreness), has been shown to be false since any lactic acid that is produced during exercise is cleared shortly after you finish, long before muscle soreness begins. The soreness is actually caused by tiny tears in your muscle. Anaerobic training, such as weight training, breaks down your muscles so they can regenerate and grow stronger. As your body repairs those microscopic tears, you're building new, healthy, strong and metabolically active muscle tissue. You get stronger and leaner!
Myth 2: You Need a Sports Drink When Exercising to Replenish Your Body's Electrolytes and Minerals.
This myth is still being perpetuated even by doctors! Sports drinks are important for improving performance in endurance oriented, high-intensity exercise that lasts longer than an hour, such as a marathon or triathlon. The reason: sports drinks provide water to replace what is lost in sweat and sugar (glucose), the fuel muscles need most in intense, long duration exercise.
If you are doing the treadmill or bike a few times a week, you don't need a sports drink, water will do better! For weight loss, avoid sports drinks as they can be high in empty calories!
Myth 3: Working Out Only Builds Muscle and won't Help Me Lose Weight.
Exercise helps maintain muscle and promotes fat loss by increasing the metabolism with added microscopic muscle tears. We know muscle weighs more than fat and boosts your metabolism permanently! Pass this (and this podcast) along to others to dispell this myth!
Motivation is easy when you have a plan, a focus and a goal. That's the concept behind QuickFit Club. You have a short term goal of getting the workouts done, monthly goals in the areas of Nutrition, training and more!
Tell me on the facebook FitGirlUSA page, your favorite Halloween candy!
Get all the most recent episodes on iTunes or download this episode here:
Fit 217: Halloween Candy, Muscle Myths, Motivation!